Job Title: Senior Personnel Officer
Name: Katie Mullard
Company: Northern Food – Riverside Bakery
BSc Management Science (2:1) from Loughborough University, A-Level’s in Sociology (A), History (B), Christian Theology (B), 10 GCSE’s (A-C), currently in final year for MSc Human Resources Management
Brief overview of your job:
To act as first point of contact for the personnel department by providing an effective service on personnel related issues
What does your job involve?
- Recruitment and Selection up to Manager level
- With managers, ensure a fair and consistent approach is applied when implementing policies and procedures
- Attendance management, short and long term absence liasing with Occupational health nurse, Company Doctor and management
- Management of Occupational Health Nurse, Personnel and Training Officer, Personnel Administrator, Undergraduate Placement Student and Receptionists
- Development of effective Industrial Relations through regular contact, formal and informal, with the Union reps, and facilitation of the management / union relationship
- Provide advice and support to managers and employees on personnel and employee relations issues
- To ensure site compliance with employment legislation and to develop best practice
What do you most like about your job?
- Something different everyday
- Feeling of sound judgement when I have applied a fair, consistent approach
- Sense of achievement when going through challenging periods, or make a difference to ensure an initiative is made more effective by your input
- Being able to help my direct reports focus their objectives and create a workable action plan, and seeing it and aiding the plan to fruition
What skills are required in your job?
- Planning and Organising – without a shadow of a doubt as things land on your desk left right and centre!
- Communication – knowing how to talk to people at different levels in different situations
- Drive / determination to get things done. Not being afraid to make decisions and influencing others to get things done on time
- Getting best out of self and others – looking at your own and colleagues development so they can fulfil their potential
What is your advice to people looking for a career in the food & grocery industry?
- Make the most of the experience you have from any previous work environment – a lot of qualities are transferable to any industry
- You are in charge of your own career – don’t expect it to land at your feet – only you can make it happen and you need to show your enthusiastic and committed
Career so far:
Northern Foods: Evesham Foods -Personnel Assistant, Cavaghan and Gray Hull
Personnel Officer, Riverside Bakery – Senior Personnel Officer.
Before this I spent time working as a Starter and sweet chef in 2 large restaurants in Hull.
Did you complete an industrial placement as part of your degree?
Personnel Assistant with Evesham Foods (Part of Northern Foods)