Job Title: Health & Safety Executive
Name: Bill Page
Company: Grampian Country Food Group
MSC Health & Safety & Environmental Management, 9 GCSE’s, NEBOSH Diploma, DIP, MIOSH RSP and MIIRSM.
Brief overview of your job:
Responsible for leading and developing a strong Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Policy and strategy to ensure a cost effective approach is adopted to reduce risk and loss potential across the Group.
What does your job involve?
- Provide leadership in all OHSE matters for the Company and ensure the functional Directors take ownership over OHSE Manage on a day to day basis the OHSE Risk Management team
- Develop Policy and Group OHSE performance KPIs and monitor progress against these standards.
- Represent the Company in dealings with external enforcement authorities
- Advise the Board Directors in matters relating to OHSE and risks which could threaten the delivery the delivery of the 5 year plan.
- Introduce initiatives to raise OHSE awareness and create a positive OHSE culture
- Ensure any OHSE incidents are adequately investigated and appropriate control measures are introduced to prevent a reoccurrence.
What do you most like about your job?
- There is great variety in the role, no day is exactly the same. It is also pleasing to be active in a role that aims to prevent ill-health and accidental injury to employees
- It is rewarding to provide advice to the Company and directly influence Board decisions and direction taken and ensure OHSE is a core part of the business.
What skills are required in your job?
- Good understanding of current legislation and best practice
- An ability to plan a strategy and have the personal impact to ensure it is delivered
- Clear communication skills is vital to the success of the role and coach ownership and support of others
- Ability to consider the bigger picture and also focus on performance detail where required.
What is your advice to people looking for a career in the food & grocery industry?
- Develop your career one stage at a time gaining as wide an experience base as possible.
- Gain qualifications that support your career aspirations as the OHSE field continues to develop and those professionals that can cover more specialist areas become more attractive to industry
- Don’t rush, build your qualifications and experience equally as they are both important.
Career so far:
- Nestle UK
- Uniq Foods
- Arla Foods
- Grampian Country Food Group