Job Title: National Account Executive
Name: Helen Hughes
Company: Northern Foods – Dalepak
BSc (Hons) Management Sciences (2:1) at Loughborough University
A-Levels in Economics and Business Studies (A), English (B), Maths (C), & General Studies (A)
10 GCSE’s & NEBSM qualification (National Examining Board of Supervisory Management)
Brief overview of your job:
Management and development of various accounts including Spar and Budgens, independents and wholesalers, and foodservice
What does your job involve?
- Responsible for all aspects of account management
- Promotion proposals, new listings, forecasting, business planning etc.
- Investigating new business opportunities
- With such a range of accounts, it is very important for me to prioritise effectively and manage my time very carefully
- Internally, I deal with many departments on a day-to-day basis, such as Marketing, R & D, Supply Chain and Finance
- One of the main challenges in my role is making sure my customers have the highest possible level of service, while considering internal factors and constraints
- I do not have a typical day!
- I am in the office for 3-4 days a week, and generally spend the other 1 or 2 days out for meetings with customers
What do you most like about your job?
- I get to deal with a very wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Sense of achievement when sales increase as a result of my actions
- e.g. new listings, promotions work well etc.
- No two days are the same
What skills are required in your job?
- Being able to talk to anybody!
- Planning and organising skills
- Self-motivation and determination
- Teamworking skills
- Confidence in your own ability, and a willingness to give things a go
What is your advice to people looking for a career in the food & grocery industry?
- The industry is fast-moving, and so be prepared to deal with change
- Have a good understanding of the retailers, and of how their growing strength is putting more pressure on food and grocery manufacturers
- Be enthusiastic and have a keen interest in food and grocery! It is a tangible product area to work with, and so results of companies work are generally very visible (and therefore can be very rewarding)
Career so far:
- Powergen plc Year in Industry placement, 1998-1999, Personnel team member