Group Technical Supplier Auditor
- BSc Food Technology (2:1 ) from University of Reading
- A-Levels in Biology, Home Economics & Environmental Science
- 8 GCSE’s including Science, Maths & English.
Brief overview of your job:
Visiting raw material suppliers to assess their level of food safety and to decide whether they can supply Greencore manufacturing sites with ingredients.
What does your job involve?
- Travelling around the UK & abroad to audit suppliers, looking at their factory processes with regard to Food Safety issues. Based on my audit I make a decision whether or not the factory can supply products to any Greencore site.
- Trouble shooting in factories where issues have been found. Helping identify the cause of the issues & resolving them.
- Auditing of other Greencore sites to ensure best practises are followed throughout the company.
What do you most like about your job?
- No two days ever the same.
- Fast paced industry requiring on the spot decisions
- Travelling around seeing all sorts of different manufacturing facilities such as bakeries, meat processors, produce growers & packaging suppliers
What skills are required in your job?
- Good organisational skills, in order to manage workload & to produce the necessary paperwork following each visit.
- Technical background regarding food safety issues in manufacturing environment
- Good people skills to ensure you get the co-operation from the people at each site to obtain the information you require.
What is your advice to people looking for a career in the food & grocery industry?
- People will always need food, so there will always be food manufacturing facilities to work in.
- Dynamic industry with fast pace, providing lots of leadership opportunities
- Huge range of product areas to choose from e.g. ambient, chilled, grocery etc etc; as well as many job roles within those areas e.g. Technical, NPD, Buying, Commercial etc etc.
Career so far:
- Group Supplier Auditor – Greencore Group plc
- Technical Manager – Greencore Sandwiches (formerly Hazlewood Sandwiches)
- Raw Material Section Manager – Hazlewood Sandwiches
- Technical Graduate Trainee – Hazlewood Sandwiches
Did you complete an industrial placement as part of your degree?
- Business Placement Person (Technical) – Marks & Spencer plc
- Quality Assurance Technologist – Thorntons plc