Group Technical Supplier AuditorName: Jill Mason
Company: Greencore Group
Brief overview of your job:
Visiting raw material suppliers to assess their level of food safety and to decide whether they can supply Greencore manufacturing sites with ingredients.
What does your job involve?
• Travelling around the UK & abroad to audit suppliers, looking at their factory processes with regard to Food Safety issues. Based on my audit I make a decision whether or not the factory can supply products to any Greencore site.
• Trouble shooting in factories where issues have been found. Helping identify the cause of the issues & resolving them.
• Auditing of other Greencore sites to ensure best practises are followed throughout the company.
What do you most like about your job?
• Fast paced industry requiring on the spot decisions
• Travelling around seeing all sorts of different manufacturing facilities such as bakeries, meat processors, produce growers & packaging suppliers
What skills are required in your job?
• Technical background regarding food safety issues in manufacturing environment
• Good people skills to ensure you get the co-operation from the people at each site to obtain the information you require.
What is your advice to people looking for a career in the food & grocery industry?
• Dynamic industry with fast pace, providing lots of leadership opportunities
• Huge range of product areas to choose from e.g. ambient, chilled, grocery etc etc; as well as many job roles within those areas e.g. Technical, NPD, Buying, Commercial etc etc.
Career so far:
Did you complete an industrial placement as part of your degree?
Quality Assurance Technologist – Thorntons plc