Category Manager Hot Snacking
Campbell Grocery Products
Batchelor of Commerce and Administration Marketing and Management double major Batchelor of Arts Major in Politics
Brief overview of your job
Managing Hot Snacks categories, focusing on the convenience sector (including Tesco Express, Co-op, Independents, Spar, Nisa etc)
What does your job involve?
- Range reviews on snack soup, canned veg and savoury carbs (pasta, rice and noodles)
- Merchandising recommendations
- Core range recommendations
- Representing the Sales function on NPD project teams and keeping the business updated on the status of in market NPD
- Implementing the tactics to deliver our category strategies. E.g. special packs, distribution drives, secondary siting, (ie. all merchandising, range, price and promotion levers).
- Liaising between our Sales and Marketing functions to ensure alignment of brand plans and strategies with account requirements and plans.
- Supporting our account teams with category-based insight and expertise.
What do you most like about your job?
- Variety of jobs, responsibilities and interaction, both externally and internally.
- Having links with many different aspects of the business, from trading to marketing, supply chain, finance and customer.
- Being involved in setting strategy and also implementing the tactics to deliver.
- The challenge, the pace and the people.
What skills are required in your job?
- Communication and relationship building
- Organisation and priority setting
- Project management
What is your advice to people looking for a career in the food & grocery industry?
Get in to a blue chip FMCG any way you can, then work your way up/around. Getting in is the hardest part. Once youre in, youre in for life.
Field sales is a good way in, as is trade marketing. Could start work in an agency and develop links/relationships with clients. Another good way in is via buying for a major supermarket.
Temp/contract/interim work allows you a way in and often leads to permanent work.
Work hard, put your hand up for any and all challenging assignments. Do them well and youll get recognition.
If you see an opportunity to do things better, do it.
Career so far
- Pathlore Software Corporation: Sales and Marketing Executive
- Profile Publishing: New Business Manager